Today, we installed the latest openERP 7.0 on our openSuSE 12.1 server. Also, we patched the new openERP 7.0 code similar to our post http://am4computers.com/wordpress/archives/258 to enable RTL support. As of now, all is working great with full support for Arabic and Hebrew.
Posts Tagged ‘Open Source’
Today, we managed to implement a solution that allows RTL Arabic support for OpenERP 5.0.11 reporting engine on our openSuSE 11.1 64 bits server.
It has to do with enabling RTL in ReportLab, which is used by OpenERP to produce PDF reports. Also, OpenERP server code has to be patched to allow it to identify RTL and LTR test direction. OpenERP reporting engine is by default recognizes LTR only.
Support for unicode characters has to be enabled to allow the display of Arab and Hebrew characters.
No more details can be provided as although the solution is open source, we don’t have the permission from the author to publish it.
If you want to save a few bucks, and in the mean time run a powerful MS Windows environment, you can find in this post some open source, free to download, software that will give you the same high performance and services offered by high cost software packages.
I personally always use the following open source software on my MS Windows XP and Vista desktops :
- Mozilla Firefox Web Browser.
- Mozilla Thunderbird Email Client.
- GIMP – the GNU Image Manipulation Program.
- Clamwin – an open source Antivirus for MS Windows.
- OpenOffice – open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more.
- MPlayer – multi-platform movie player.
- KeePass – Password manager.
- Notepad++ – a powerful free text and source code editor and MS Windows Notepad replacement.
- PuTTY – an SSH and telnet client.
- FileZilla – free FTP solution, both client and server.
- 7-Zip – a file archiver.
- Pidgin – easy to use and free chat client used to connect to AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and more chat networks all at once.
- TurboCASH -Simple, easy to use application for managing personal finances.
- Electric Sheep – free, open source screen saver.
Do you have a preferred open source package to share with others ?
Today, we have employed OpenERP open source ERP suite for the first time in our offices. It will be used to manage inventories, deliveries, account payables and receivables.
As a first step, we have recorded year 2008 ending inventories. And we will gradually store sales and purchasing data in the database.
OpenERP is an open source suite that is based on a client-server platform. The server connects to a PostgreSQL database and the client connects to the server afterwards.
We will post the outcome of this experiment as more information are available.